I've spent the last week trying out different tutorials related to Web Services. I felt confident enough to try and run the HeartBeatWS application. However, after many attempts I still could not configure it to run successfully. I was still confused with how to run the application.
Finally, I've managed to pinpoint the issue with the project. I found that the project was initially built using Axis 1.4. I was using Axis2 and from online research, I found that Axis2 was a significant rewrite of the original Axis1 framework. I then created the HeartBeat web service using Axis1 and have managed to successfully run and invoke the web services. I also had to make some minor adjustments to the code such as changing the endpoint on the HeartBeatWS client to reflect the correct web service location.
I've spent most of this week and last week reading and understanding the HeartBeatWS code. I am beginning to get familiar with the running of the code. Suraj Pandey also sent me a publication paper related to the application and that helped me further understand the code.
I will now spend the rest of the week researching and understanding iPad app development and play around with Xcode on an Apple PC at CSIRO and then look at the Visual Studio solution. There's still a lot of work to be done yet!