Wednesday, 13 June 2012

Over the last week, I spent time on trying to understand Objective-C needed for iPad programming. It's still a little confusing but I'm starting to get the hang of it slowly. I managed to create simple apps for the iPad. I will continue working on this and hopefully by next week, I will be able to start consuming some simple web services on the iPad. 

In terms of web services, I have a more thorough understanding about it now. The tutorials seemed to have helped.

I've also spent some time learning about Google App Engine and web services. I've managed to create a web service that will allow a user to store a file onto Google's datastore. The client (a Java application) was created that calls the web service to check if a user is logged in. If the user is logged in,  the client application will allow the user to choose a file on their system to upload onto Google datastore. The chosen file will then be encrypted and the encrypted file and its corresponding key are sent via SOAP to the web service, which will then store the data onto datastore. I have managed to complete all this. However, I have come across some problems: file bytes can't exceed 500 characters and hence this only works for very small files. I will look into this problem and see if there is a workaround. Will update once this issue is resolved. Once this is done, the file retrieval process will then take place and later on I can look at the concept of file sharing and collaboration amongst friends, etc.

Also this week, I prepared and attended the Research Methods Workshop, which is compulsory for my degree. I managed to write a draft literature review and draft proposal. On the day of the workshop, I learnt many useful things about writing literature reviews and proposals. Dr George Ridgway, facilitator of the workshop, shared some very interesting tips and kept us engaged with the activities and tasks and overall I found the workshop extremely useful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment